Expand for more
Green metals can become a reality in WA if we start planning and building towards this now. Clean state advocates the adoption of a Green Metals Strategy for WA that will:
- Establish a green metals and renewable mining research, innovation and industry development hub and seek Commonwealth Government
co-investment as a Cooperative Research Centre or CRC.
- Establish a low carbon jobs Industry Advisory Council reporting to the Premier.
- Establish incentives and agreements (as part of government approvals and State Agreements) to support and accelerate the uptake of renewable energy in mining and minerals processing.
- Support the proposal for a quick-start green aluminium smelter in Collie.
- Invest or partner in the building of a Hydrogen powered steel making plant.
- Underwrite the renewable energy projects that will be required to power a green metals industry.
- Negotiate with likely steel producers to locate to WA, with an incentive package that includes low cost renewable energy and a guaranteed customer base.
- Guarantee procurement of green steel, which could be used in WA infrastructure projects, rail and bus fleets, buildings and wind turbine towers.
- Boost investment and ambition in the WA Green Hydrogen Strategy.
- Support the establishment of the Asia Renewable Energy Hub in the Pilbara to provide a large-scale renewable energy source for hydrogen production.