The WA Election Is On
Did you hear the news from The Bureau of Meteorology that 2020 was WA’s second hottest year on record? 🔥 The new year has got off to a dry and hot one too, with emergency services fighting multiple major fires across the state. It is clear that West Australians are now paying a heavy price - including with their health and safety - for government delays in job-creating climate action.
The WA Election Is On!
2021 is an election year and with just a few weeks until voting opens, we have another opportunity to turn things around and get serious climate action on the agenda.
Last week we visited Geraldton (with safe passage through the fire affected Brand Highway), to meet with locals taking up this opportunity to make climate change a major voting issue. Midwest Carbon Zero successfully got a Climate Emergency Declaration through Greater Geraldton Council in December and G.Y.R.O (picture below) are young people organising market stalls and events to have hundreds of community conversations about climate change.
Others like Mike from Geraldton & Midwest E-Waste, are leading by example on clean solutions. Geraldton is one of the only places in Australia without curbside recycling but thanks to Mike’s initiative, volunteers are now improving landfill diversion rates and increasing re-use and recycling. It should be a high priority for the WA government across the whole state. And the good news is hundreds of jobs for both regional and urban centres can be created getting it done. This is all part of Idea 24 in the Clean State Jobs Plan.
Make An Impact This Election
With just 9 weeks until the state election, we’re calling on all Clean State supporters to follow Geraldton’s lead and start having these positive climate conversations with your family and friends. Use the Clean State Jobs Plan and figures to demonstrate that we can have jobs AND climate action.
What Else Can I Do?
- Help Clean State be seen in your suburb or town. Put up a yard sign to help give visibility to the need for less gas pollution and more clean solutions. You can order a free yard sign from our online shop.
- Email the Premier Mark McGowan and your local MP. This easy to use online form can help you let them know what you would like to see happen to address climate change and create clean jobs here in WA.
- Volunteer on an upcoming Clean State market stall or event. We also host Calling for Climate evenings and door knocking in both the north and south metro areas. You can find all these events using our handy map tool here.
- Volunteer for the 9 week election period. Sign up via our volunteer page.
- Share your climate story or project. Is your community group, workplace or business already acting on climate change? Our media team would love to connect with you. Use our contact form to get in touch.
- Donate. Summer is a busy time of year and volunteering is not for everyone. Make a $50 contribution to support our community events and engagment over the next 9 weeks leading up to the election?
We have the momentum to get a WA climate action plan that cuts pollution and electrifies everything with renewable energy. For example, both major parties have recently announced low-carbon transport plans for state-wide electric vehicle infrastructure and building better bike paths. These clean solutions are just the beginning. We’ll keep you posted as more good news happens in the weeks ahead.